Tuesday 22 March 2011

My Makeup Story

I saw this post on Hannah's blog and loved reading hers so much that I tagged myself  to do it too! It takes the form of 11 questions that give an insight into your beauty background so here goes....

♥  How old were you when you started wearing makeup?
I first experimented with a delightful pink frosted Rimmel lippie and matching nail polish when I was quite young - maybe 11 or 12 - but through most of secondary school the most I wore was a bit of mascara and lipbalm. My skin got quite bad towards the age of about 16 and that's when I started wearing proper foundation/concealer and blusher which quickly progressed into 'full face of make up' territory!

♥ How did you get into makeup?
Probably through my mum when I was smaller (watching her get ready and rifling through her make up bag when she wasn't looking!) Getting into girly magazines (remember Sugar!?) in my teens also had a big part to play and then more recently youtube and the beauty blogosphere have also helped build my passion.

♥ What are some of your favorite brands?
The Body Shop is fab for face care and on the make up front I love Bourjois and Elf for bases, bronzers and blushers, Urban Decay and Boots 17 for eyes, back to Bourjois for mascara and Mac for highlighters & lippies.



What does makeup mean to you?
For me make up is something I simply really enjoy. I find the ritual of applying it is actually quite relaxing and cathartic. There is also a bit around confidence too. As much as make up shouldn't make a person, for someone who's suffered with rubbish skin the boost that it can give you is priceless.

If you could only wear 4 products on your face what would they be?
Definitely foundation, eyeliner, mascara and blusher.

What is your favorite thing about makeup?
The creativity it gives you - with all of the different brands, products, shades and tools that exist the opportunities are literally limitless!
 
Source
What do you think about drugstore makeup vs high end makeup?
I'm definitely more of a drugstore gal and I actually think there are some amazing products to be found on the high street. I own a couple of pricier items but I just can't justify the cost to buy high end every time especially if its something I'm using daily and therefore runs out quickly!

What is one tip of advice you can give to a beginner?
Practice practice practice! Don't be afraid to experiment but pick a time when it doesn't matter whether it works so well or not. Its always tempting to try a new look on a big night out and in my experience the pressure for it to work usually causes me to mess up big time!

What is one makeup trend you never understood?
It may be a slightly controversial one but I really don't get 'glitter'. I love a bit of shimmer as much as the next girl but full on chunks on your face just don't work for me!


Source
♥ What do you think of the Beauty Community on Youtube/Blogger?
I haven't really ventured onto youtube yet but am really enjoying the beauty community on blogger. Touch wood I haven't experienced  some of the personal image negativity (aka downright bitchiness) that other bloggers speak of. It really hacks me off that some people get their kicks that way.

Who is your style icon?
This one took a bit of thinking about..but I've always thought that Kate Beckinsale is stunning - her make up is flawless and I desperately want/need her hair!


And jumping on what is a bit of a recent trend I also think that Adele is really beautiful - that girl rocks black eyeliner and has a gorgeously normal figure thats an inspirational sight amidst the skinny minnies of celeb land.


So there you have it...I tag anyone who fancies doing this post too!

Until next time,

3 comments:

  1. Hi Rachael,
    I love questionaires like this one. I'll be filling this one out later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post. It's always nice to learn more about bloggers. I have to agree with you. I think Kate is gorgeous in such a natural and subtle way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ lexi920 yey! look forward to reading it :)

    @ Thedreamsofanizzyinabigwildworld:) thanking you!

    @ Kristie isn't she just - she rocks the 'no-make-up' make up look :)

    ReplyDelete